Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Mirror

I remember a number of years ago
Catching my weary eyes in a mirror
And with the doubling of my eyes,
And the room around me,
So time doubled as well.
I relaxed, and while staring into those eyes
That were mine but were not
(only a projection of the eyes that saw these eyes)
I witnessed:
The furrowing of my brow,
A mapping of lines across my face,
Wrinkles emanating from the corners of these eyes.
My stare broke,
And things were quite the same as before.
Except the feeling that time had increased
Stayed.

I spent the rest of the day
Putting off the things,
That the day before,
Had seemed so urgent.
I now knew I had many years to accomplish
The tasks I had set out for myself.
Finally I could enjoy a moment
Not harried with anxiety
At the prospect of
Wasting time.

And that is why,
Until now,
Glancing into that same mirror,
I have not conveyed
What happened
That day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat Gordon said...

Mike, I like this poem the most. Keep writing. I'll keep reading!

August 29, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home